- 1 3lb. chicken
- 1 lb. lean stewing lamb
- ½ lb. beef short ribs
- 1 can chick peas, drained
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 turnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 onion, stuck w/ 2 cloves
- 4 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 4 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 lb. couscous*
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- ¼ cup raisins, plumped in hot water
- 1 or 2 hot chili peppers
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- cayenne pepper
* Couscous--wheat semolina--is available in one-pound packages in many markets or in bulk in stores selling Middle Eastern foods.
1. Put meats in large pot, cover with water, and bring slowly to boiling point.
2. Skim off fat then add carrots, turnips, celery, onion, tomatoes, and garlic, bring again to boiling point.
3. Skim again, then season with salt, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
4. Add chick peas and hot peppers, cover again and simmer 15 to 20 minutes longer.
5. Remove meats and keep them hot in a little of the broth.
6. Add zucchini to broth, cook 5 minutes longer, strain broth and reserve vegetables.
7. Put strained broth in the bottom part of couscous pot (couscoussiere) or in a large pot.
8. Put the top part of the couscous pot or a colander lined with cheesecloth on top.
9. Moisten couscous with a little cold water and work with your fingers to break up lumps.
10. Put couscous on top of couscous pot or in the colander and place over the boiling broth.
11. When the steam begins to come through the grains, remove top, put couscous on a plate and sprinkle with ½ cup cold water, stir well with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps.
12. Return top or colander to the pot and steam another 30 minutes.
13. Pour the cooked couscous in a bowl, sprinkle surface lightly with a little fat from the top of the broth and the melted butter.
14. Toss it lightly with raisins.
15. Arrange the meat and vegetables around the mound of couscous.
16. Take a cupful of the broth, stir in paprika and enough cayenne pepper to make it quite hot, and serve on the side.
The Islamic Bulletin
P.O. Box 410186, San Francisco, CA 94141-0186
|March / April 1993|
|Ramadan Is Here|
|Letters to the Editor|
|Islamic World News|
|Islamic Dietary Laws|
|Women in Islam|
|Miracles of the Qur'an|
|Why I Embraced Islam|
|Stories of the Sahabah|
|The Kid's Corner|
|Sayings of the Prophet|