95. Then We changed their suffering into prosperity, until they grew and multiplied, and
began to say: "Our fathers (too) were touched by suffering and affluence" ... Behold! We
called them to account of a sudden, while they realised not (their pe ril).
96. Walaw anna ahla alqura amanoo wa
ttaqaw lafatahna AAalayhim barakatin mina
l-ardi walakin kaththaboo faakhathnahum bima kanoo yaksiboon
96. If the people of the towns had but believed and feared God, We should indeed have
opened out to them (All kinds of) blessings from heaven and earth; but they rejected (the
truth), and We brought them to book for their misdeeds.
97. Afaamina ahlu alqura an ya/tiyahum ba/suna bayatan wahum na-imoon
97. Did the people of the towns feel secure against the coming of Our wrath by night
while they were asleep?
98. Awa amina ahlu alqura an ya/tiyahum ba/suna duhan wahum yalAAaboon
98. Or else did they feel secure against its coming in broad daylight while they played